What i hope for in the 2018 nfl draft

I’m not sure if that is sarcasm or not. Are you actually complaining about the team picking THREE all pros in the first round?

you look at a player and say he is a good player good pick… i do not debate that… i think elliot zac and freddy good players… i look at the draft as a whole bc i study and know all the players… so its obvious to me why you think im a lunatic. i can understand that.

and yes i was being sarcastic.

so you can take a good player but i dont always call it a good pick…

i dont think zeke and martin where bad picks… i just would not call them good picks… ok picks… picks where jerry should not get some gm award… lol

I don’t think you are a lunatic. There are lots of ways of evaluating players. One of the things I find most interesting about the Cowboys sites is that we can all watch THE EXACT SAME THING and come up with totally different evaluations. you see things different than I do. You wouldn’t be the first. That’s cool.

again we disagree. Minus freddy and Martin Dak would have spent the entire last two seasons on his back …

1 Like

I love the draft scott… so i look at in terms as vaule at positions…
as far as players i love zeke and martin… i just think there was great value after the first round at those two position… actually i know there was.

we WASTED a GREAT QB by not protecting him. Thankfully the team finally remedied the situation, albeit TOO LATE for Romo

1 Like

How many of them were ALL-PRO? Can’t be too many since we have at least half the all pro guards and centers (and LTs when Tyron is healthy)

and again thats just not true… you see us without freddy and martin… first off i dont think freddy was a bad pick… for the reasons i stated earlier…

martin on the other hand was not a great pick… just like i said before he was drafted… great guards will be there in the third… so we would have had freddy and tre turner of freddy and gabe jackson… both pro bowl type guards… could have just took a pro bowl lb in the first and still got a stud guard.

idk about all pro but pro bowl yes and some of the guards in the same draft as martin are rated as high or higher then martin… not saying they are better but at the very least close.

follow this logic… use 0-10 scale… first round guard zac martin 9.5 second round lb 7.7 third round 6.5
or lb first round 9.2 second round de 8.2 third round guard 8.2

which draft is better…

Look, I think Martin is a GREAT player, but at the same time I have proposed trading him because we have too much tied up in the OL. But that doesn’t apply to ROOKIES. They were GREAT PICKS when you consider “bang for your buck” like Wilson was for the Seachickens

scott you are comparing two positions that are the complete opposite…

a qb compared to a guard…

you are going from the most important position on the team by a long shot to one of the bottom most important positions or at least a mid level of importance… obviouly kicker and punter prob rank below guard…

i also think martin is a great player…

but if i can take a guy that is a stud starting pro bowl player in the third at the same position… thats what im going to do… and use my first for a stud at another position…

Bri - surely you realize that if you change ONE thing in the first round that EVERYTHING after that may have shaken out differently. There is no way YOU or ANYONE ELSE can say for certain who would have been available when it was our pick. That is why YOU TAKE THE BEST PLAYER and not look at what you MIGHT get.

1 Like

look… just pay attention and you will see good guards come from the second and third rounds again this year… heck i have braden smith and hernendez as the third and fourth best guards in the draft and they are still on the board… i also still have three of the top five rbs still on the board in the second…
all guys i think will be pro bowlers…

name me a lb left on the board that you think will be a pro bowler… how about a safety…

IMO Martin was the right pick at that time. While I understand the concept of “value” the fact is the draft is a crap shoot.

Especially when undrafted and late round picks can have better careers than high picks with pedigree.

martin has all but lived up to that pedigree. All pro at rooking for the first time in 50 years speaks volumes

scott… but i said it before it happened… so ya … you can look at a draft and see if you know what your looking at…

i said it time and time again before we drafted martin that there was going to be stud guards as late as the third… i was wrong there was stud guards as late as the fourth…

just like this year… said no reason to take wr in the first… bc there is going to be studs in the second - 4th rounds.

using last night as an example - Vander Esch was considered a second round pick by many. The Cowboys took him in the first. As many as 31 teams may have thought they could get him in the second THEY COULDN’T. ( I am not saying it was the right pick, just making a point)

vander esch was a late first round consensus guy … mayock had him as the third rated lb

I hope you are right about the WRs AND that the team gets one of them. I think this offense is going to really struggle if they don’t upgrade the WR position