Team needs 2018 draft

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think DE is a need in this draft. Is Davenport a better prospect than Taco was? I’m not sure. And I think Tapper, Ealy, Lawrence, and Taco make a pretty dang good de corps. Not too mention Gregory could make a comeback and he’d be a perfect rde. I’m not giving up on him until the cowboys cut him because he has the talent.

1 Like

Other then Gregory I don’t see a rde on the team. I remember when people tried to say lawrence was a rde lol

maybe Tapper

Hard to include a player who has done nothing… trust me I’m a tapper fan. He has measurable rde traits but his play in college was more lde. Idk his weight but I could see him at 3 tec

Taco is about the only de we have signed for long term. And rde is a position I don’t pass on if there is a stud. That’s why I included it. The cowboys dont draft smart so I’m sure it won’t happen.

I agree with you, Doug, mostly. I’m not a big draft guy, but what I’m gathering is that DE is more of a need this year than you or I think it is because of next year. Tapper is on his last chance to get it done, I would think, and Lawrence and Irving aren’t guaranteed. So, get a DE now to work on for a year just in case.

I am a draft moron, but I like LB, S, and DE for this year’s draft. Vita Vea is one guy I have seen and would like him, but seems like he’ll be gone at #19.

I’d say DT/1T is a bigger need than 3T or Edge. We need a fat body to clog that line and keep the OL off our LBers. That would go a long way towards improving this defense. We haven’t had a true 1T in a long long time and I think some forget just how effective one can be.

2 Likes

I tend to agree to some extent with the front office on a pure 1tech

they play on average probably less than half of the time

I’m all over the idea of taking Vea, because he isn’t just a pure 1tech, he has athleticism, and can have an impact on passing plays.

But the pure 1techs, they can shed a blocker and make a play at the line of scrimmage, thus necessitating at the very least a combo block, but they’re not making too many TFLs, nor will they be on the field except for 1st downs (outside of the last 5 minutes of each half).

If you can get a true monster, that can move, and play more than the limited run downs, there’s a lot of value to that 1 tech position. But unless they’re a real rare talent, it’s tough to make sense of spending any real resource on the position.

Even the sam backers and backup TEs can play STs, 3rd CBs are seeing the field about 70% of the time anymore. the 1 techs, are just so very limited in their capacity.

I’d love to spend one of our 4ths on one, but that’s as high as I go for anyone less than the talent of Vea.

I wouldnt touch a DT 1 in the first round…

wr washington is the best of both worlds… he is built like a rb… this helps him to get off the line quick…he is able to change direction quick and he is a dangerous runner with the ball in his hands…

and…

he has freakishly long arms… which help him get off of blocks or press… it allows him to go over cbs and come down with the ball… the length of his arms make him more like a 6’5 wr…

i think he will be one of the top wrs in this draft.

Your FIRED

3 Likes

winstar come on now… i like fountain too!

1 Like

looks like Jaylen’s at least doing drills without the foot brace

adjust your 2nd round mock drafts accordingly…

I know some of these picks may sound stupid right now… but a year or two down the road you will understand…

just a fun mock with my explanation… Just so you know i traded next years first for a high second and high third… and traded this years 2nd and third to move up in the 2nd for our lb.

Round 1 Pick 19: James, Derwin, SS/FS, Florida State - He fell right to us… i see him as a top ten talent… and it is possible… likely nope… but many draft insiders are saying he may slide.
Round 2 Pick 4 (IND): Evans, Rashaan, OLB/ILB, Alabama - Got our starting mike… esch was gone… id take evans anyway.
Round 2 Pick 5 (IND): Okoronkwo, Ogbonnia, DE/OLB, Oklahoma- I see him as a RDE and one of the top pass rushers in this class. We currently have one proven good pass rusher and he may hold us for ransom next year.
Round 3 Pick 3 (IND): Smith, Braden, OG, Auburn - what do i always say… many stud guards in the 3rd… i just took one and he will be a pro bowler… dont get caught up on the name if this guy is gone there are others who will be there.
Round 4 Pick 16: Fountain, Daurice, WR, Northern Iowa - Got us an x to replace our X…
Round 4 Pick 37: Scarbrough, Bo, RB, Alabama - If Zeke gets suspended again… just kidding… but if zeke gets hurt we still have a big strong runner with some speed to pound the rock… thats what we DO!
Round 5 Pick 34: Flowers, Dimitri, FB, Oklahoma - yes i know we just got a FB… Dimitri is more… he can play TE and goal line rb.
Round 6 Pick 34: Litton, Chase, QB, Marshall - Jerry said he wanted to draft a qb… this guy has potential
Round 7 Pick 18: Spain, Bentley, OT, North Carolina- late in the draft… have no idea what this pick will be… lol

Im sure many people will be mad i traded next years first… i get that… but forget the name of the player i picked… hypothetically if there is a guy setting there that you see as a first round talent at a prime position… why not do it?

And now the name… okorownkwo… in a year you guys will see why i picked him… he will be one of the best pass rushers in the league… at least i hope so or i will lose some of my credibility on my edge rusher evaluations lol come on guys im allowed to have a few misses right? hahaha

Perk- i know some dont understand my draft logic at times… i think for the most part you do… This is what i said about jaylon smith when we drafted him… horrible pick… why … bc i also said this…

Worst case scenario- you are drafting a guy who may never walk normal much less play football.

Best case scenario- you are drafting a guy who will not play year one… play on occasion year two… Start year 3 but not quite himself… year four play good… so you get one year of good football. and may play well enough we cannot afford to re sign him… so almost a first round pick you get one solid year for is best case scenario…

well… im pretty close… he did start this year though so on one hand you could say he is ahead of schedule… on the other hand i dont think he would have started for many teams in the league… he played below average for a starter in the nfl… still… ahead of schedule though…

I hope he does well… just bc i think it was a bad pick that high in the second… doesnt mean i dont hope he comes around… im pulling for mr. smith.

1 Like

Davenport or Landry @ 19?

Davenport…but neither really.

2 Likes

#BREAKING: @BuffaloBills trade with Cleveland @Browns for fourth pick