Team needs 2018 draft

if they are only counting the times the WR is thrown to then that means that Dez could be totally blanketed on every play he WAS NOT thrown to. I.E. 100 pass plays are called. On 50 of them Dez is the primary target. On 40 of those he is totally covered and he doesn’t get the ball. NONE OF THOSE COUNT AGAINST THIS STAT. They are ONLY counting when he is thrown to and (hopefully) the QB is only throwing the ball when he IS open. I think this is a pretty much useless stat when determining if someone is getting open or not.

1 Like

A better measure would be how many times the receiver is the primary target and how many times he was thrown to. The higher the percentage the more frequently he is getting open…

it’s only useless if you ignore that it’s the same for all receivers.

impossible

then it IS useless, since all WRs are not the same. The guys lower on the route tree could be open EVERY time, but never have it counted since the ball was not thrown to them. conversely the guys that ARE high on the route tree could be covered 85% of the time and that isn’t counted against them unless the ball is thrown to them

I don’t agree with that assessment. I have always had a problem with the reads in this offense. They start from short to long. Which often means JW or CB because there route only went 7 yards. Pre-snap should have moved the quarterback to let’s say a post by Dez who completely turns his man around only to see the ball go short because “that is what the defense gave us”. It happened when T.O. was here as well. It is a true testament to the greatness of both players that they put numbers at all in what to me is a pretty prehistoric approach to the passing game.

which assessment?

That the number of targets indicates how often the guy get open. I watch Terrence and he is open all of the time but this offense is designed to clear out for shorter routes. That is why is is so god awful when a team decides they are going to single high and just play us mano y mano.

that was not what I was saying at all. I was saying what you said, that it DOES NOT count for the receiver when he isn’t targeted no matter how wide open he is. TWill could be open EVERY PLAY but the only ones that matter are the ones when he was thrown the ball. Conversely I could run 100 pass routes, be totally blanketed on 90 of them, have the defender trip and fall on ten of them and I would look like the god of separation, even though I can’t get open unless someone falls down.

They should have kept Romo so Dak could’ve learned more from him. No matter what people say Romos stats are better than any of our Qbs past/present. I would’ve loved to have seen him as QB Coach he is so knowledgeable and AMAZING calling and reading plays

1 Like

I thinks his smarts have been seriously missed. I think he was the difference between a Linehanl offense and a good offense

For me its mlb, fs, guard, wr, dt.

Rashaan Evans at 19 would be a good pick, but there are a few guys in the later rounds that could be had.

I like Moore and Edmunds at safety. Edmunds is more of a strong safety but he is a playmaker. If either are around at 81 I’d jump on that.

For wide receiver I just hope they don’t pick Sutton. If Dak and Dez couldn’t get a connection going, I really don’t want a similar player that is less explosive. Ridley in the first or Kirk in the second would be great.

I don’t know what to think about the guard position, after Hernandez and Wynn I didn’t see anyone I liked. And the draft is loaded with DTs. I’m sure the cowboys will grab one when the value makes sense.

2 Likes

Lots of good guards in the upcoming draft I like Smith a lot

1 Like

I would love Tarvaruis Moore at 81. He is a true center field type FS. We haven’t had one of those in a long damn time.

3 Likes

Ill have to go back and take another look at a few of these guards. Do you think any of these later round guards will start immediately? If not I wonder if Dallas shouldn’t trade up in the second for one or wait until next year. I can’t justify picking another olineman in the first round.

By the way, good to see you again prime. I found this forum from your tweet to Broaddus about your lb rankings! I already recognize a bunch of people from DC.com.

1 Like

I just threw out this scenario in the earl Thomas board, but what do you think about earl Thomas for Byron Jones and maybe a fifth round pick? I feel better about drafting a corner in this draft over a safety.

I like it for us, but I highly doubt the Seahawks would go for it.

i def think there are some guards who will go third or 4th round that could start for us…

starhart… thats a pretty good trade thought… … and more then fair for a player with what… a year left on his contract?

mark me down as a guy who though jones should have stayed at cb in the beginning…

also mark me down as a guy who thinks jones will have a solid year this year… and go on to be one of the top cbs in the game for another 5…

brother it is good to see you my man! been way to long!