Martin Lawrence Irving... pick one to stay on the team

With all three of these players playing at a high level last year… lets project they all do it again this year… Maybe even at a higher level… with the cap as it is… we can only afford to keep one… which one is it going to be… and does it affect draft strategy for this year?

This just isn’t fair.

1 Like

No its not… but it could be reality. Stupid cap lol

I probably roll with Martin. He’s likely the best at his position in the NFL, and he’s dependable. That last part makes a big difference, otherwise position would weigh against him.

1 Like

I would let the draft dictate the move. For instance… if we take taven bryan… Irving is out… Davenport lawrence is out…

But guard is the easiest to get… it’s Def not a premium position… 2ND 3rd 4th rounds u can find probowl guards year in and year out.

I’d rather have the 8th best pass rusher than the top guard.

How you been prime??? I think we find a way to keep all three… But If I had to pick one, it would be Martin… CLYDESDALES, are very rare…

Hey buddy!
I disagree… i have been looking at these drafts in depth for a long time. You can find many pro bowl level guards in rounds 2-4… Think about it like this… if you want even the fourth best pass rusher you have to get him in the first round… sometime there are as many as 8 go first round… but if you want the fourth best guard… alot of times you can get that guy in the third…

For instance… and this is foresight… not hindsight… i kept telling anyone who would listen that there was no need to draft martin in the first round… bc you could get gabe jackson or tre turner in the third… both of those guys are at the very minimum close to as good as martin… but you draft them in the 3rd… meaning with your first and second rounders your drafting hypothetically good players that start for your team.

Well if we get comp draft pick-s for losing the other two, who will give us the higher value?

I’ll play along, but they’ll be able to afford all three in 2018. Currently they are projected to have $55 million in cap space in 2019 and that’s with Dez still on the ledger.

But for the purposes of this hypothetical, give me DeMarcus Lawrence. Very hard to replace 10+ sack guys. When you find one, you hold onto them.

1 Like

I’d be interested to see your figures to get 55 mill

everyone else around here (and other sites) has been saying we’ve got zero cap space

I never fully buy into the zero claims, but 55 surprises me

Here you go. This is from overthecap.com.

1 Like

thanks, wonder where all the cap-chicken-littles keep getting their numbers

1 Like

Well, before 2019 we were in a form of cap hell. It’s part of the reason why we have not done anything in FA in the last 3-4 years. The team writers would have you believe that cap hell is just a myth, but that is absolutely not true. There are varying degrees to be sure, but we have been restricted because of our lack of cap space, and there is no denying that.

DAL has been getting better about the contracts they give out, in an almost true “cap reform” style too. It just takes time to make that transition (2-3 contract generations seems to be the norm).

I think 2019 finally gets us out of the spending that was still going strong 10-12 years ago, but now they have to utilize that space properly, under the new ideas of the front office. $55-mil with this roster? YUM!

I’m not picking but know this…if Martin or Lawrence go then you can expect a fan rebellion. We will see how this goes but with the Cowboys redoing contracts I forecast we see all three back unless one falls off the charts.

Nah, Martin is here for the next 5+ years. Lawrence hasn’t earned the respect you’re giving him. One year does not make a career (rather, it shouldn’t).

Cap Hell has always been exaggerated by many in the media. Not sure why. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to study the Salary Cap at its most basic. Now there are a lot of details that can make it more complicated, but guys at the Newspapers or on the radio or for ESPN or the NFL Network aren’t aiming for accuracy but to further some false narratives because it plays better.

The Dallas Cowboys always play close to the Salary cap ceiling. And they use restructures on players they count on performing to their contracts for the entirety of their contracts, like Travis Frederick or Tyron Smith. Those players if healthy are worthy of heavy cap figures which opens up space for the other moves the team can make.

boy, that 55 mill looked really good…up until I looked at 2020 and saw we only have 13 players under contract for that year

that’s a lot of space they’ll have to fill, which means they’ll probably be looking to extend more than the 3 we’re even talking about, which may mean letting at least one go

The cap does play a role… For isnstance… if we do not have much cap room… then dez martin lawrence irving and byron jones all will not be back… so now you have to look at at least two of those players that you will have to replace…

In my opinion the best way to do it is through the draft… but you dont single any one of them out unless they are not playing to the level you would like… so lets say all things are even… all of those players go on to have pro bowl type year…

So this is the year to start looking at replacing them… the time is now… in this draft…

So we are sitting at 19… lets say james smith and edmunds are all gone… (this is just an exercise so save your opinion on the prospects) but DE Davenport is setting there and he is the highest rated player on the board… He could potentially replace lawrence and save about 18 mil a year instead of re signing lawrence…
or taven bryan to replace irving…

then in the second the third rated guard happens to drop to you… that could replace martin…

now with that being said its not a for sure… you still have to let things pan out but at least you have given yourself some potential options instead of waiting until you absolutly must draft a guard or De or DT or WR

For my money i do believe they end up with both martin and lawrence long term…

so first round im looking hard at Taven bryan… he is the three tech this team has needed… he replaces irving… bc it is possible if irving has another year like he did that he could command 10 plus million a year via free agency…

second round yes i want a lb… and i may go that direction… but if a d washington or a st brown are setting there… those are two wr with number one wr skill sets… much cheaper replacement for dez…

if not you take your need for this year which is LB… i do believe LB in the first or second round this year…

my point is there needs to be more forward thinking…

when murry didnt re sign… the cowboys went into panic mode and drafted a rb with the number 4 overall pick… some love zeke and thats ok… i like him… but looking at value the team could have done much better getting a starting stud rb after the first round… that year… the year before the year after …

same with ware… ware leaves and we dont have anyone waiting in the wings…

start thinking ahead jerry