The truth about Dez Bryant’s future with the Cowboys

If Rico can learn and Witten can teach then we should see more of Rico this season, barring injury

1 Like

regardless we should see less of Witten…doesn’t need to be in on 100% of the snaps anymore

He still has value, but shouldn’t be a requirement of every formation and play

give him 75% of the snaps and we should be good

I fully expect to see him in New England next season. Brady has the accuracy to return Dez to a top tier player (if his health allows)

So… how much dead money in the following years

8 mill this year @primetime21, and that’s it

saves us 8 mill of the 16 that he would have hit this year

it’s pretty good for cap space (I think they’ll be getting Lawrence’s deal done with it)

2 Likes

really hope the draft pick they’re targetting isn’t Sutton…he may end up decent enough, but I just don’t see the domination I’d like of much lesser talent he faced…and saw a fair amount of what should have been offensive pass interference

Sutton is like dez… in a way… so why draft him first round… I think drafting a wr first round is a waste for this team… even if it was Julio jones… a first round pick to be under utilized? I don’t mind a wr after the first… matter of fact I think the second and third round has alot of value. But not with the first pick… needs to be dline or lb

And I’m not the type to just say a position bc of need… I think between dt bryan de davenport or lbs esch or evans there will some nice talent at 19

I’m gonna do a wr ranking hopefully will be done before the draft… getting a late start

This is all about Linehan signed off by JG. Linehan has cleaned house of all his detractors. They had better be good this season because he set himself up for huge criticism.

1 Like

…pretty clear here

1 Like

There’s a chance, that they’re looking to change the offense to be a bit more dynamic, with better short to medium route combinations. And they need WRs that are quick, and need outside receivers that can also play slot roles (ala Hurns) in order to accomplish that. IF that’s their direction, the cutting can make more sense, and there’s a ton of guys in this draft that would fit that kind of offense really really well.

However, given their route designs so far, I am most certainly not going to hold my breath with this coaching staff. And we’d need to see Witten take a significant cut in snap count (and should be on his way out too, because he doesn’t fit that design either). Williams wouldn’t fit that style, and should be on his way out too. Haven’t seen enough of Noah to know if he could fit.

Reading Sturm’s article this morning, he mentions that this was likely the plan starting as early as last year, when they didn’t restructure his contract to make cap space, so that they could cut dez with less financial impact this year. It would also explain taking Switzer when you still had Beasley.

Not going to lie, this is a hard transition. Cutting dez feels like the end of the era after Romo leaving last year. Witten, and to some extent Lee, are the last strands, but those strands are awfully thin, with this very possibly being Witten’s last year, and Lee not lasting much longer either. I can move on with Dak, Zeke, and…well, don’t know who else will identify as being the faces of this era, but it’s going to take a little bit of time. It’s a mourning process.

But, it will be OK.

Go Cowboys!

2 Likes

There is a crap ton of mid round WR talent in this draft. Not a great draft to get a WR1, but a damn good draft to fill out a WR corps. Remember, Antonio Brown went in the 6th.

1 Like

Fountain and Dunbar. We should be able to sign them now as nobody else will want them. Well maybe Fountain since he tore it up on his Pro Day.

I agree there are a ton of wrs after the first round… some are actually number one type guys… like chark and st brown…
this team doesnt need so spend big time draft capital like first rounders on wrs… i have a feel they are going to do like perk said… it will be more like a college offense…

funny this team never stays in the same direction… they try something it doesnt work and they blow it up…

Dez was a cowboy and will always be… no one loved being a cowboy more then him. He will go somewhere and be back in the conversation as a top ten wr again.

If the cowboys turn around and draft a wr first round then they are like i think… idiots…

they draft so bad it is unreal.

and they better keep looking for a qb… not saying dak will or will not end up being the man… but right now he doesnt have the skill level that id like to see as the cowboys starting qb.

Why Watkins? Is he younger then Dez? My understanding Dez had better numbers.
Dez to me had been off on his routes and dropping balls but he was also missed when open too or the ball went to someone else. I always like Dez myself so I didn’t want him to go. I hope he rips it up except when we shut him down!
Now Witten, only thing keeping him around is his smarts & heart and no one has stepped up. I am a Jason fan but he has lost more than a step and comes up a yard or two short on patterns. But then he makes an awesome play. Rico could be the man if he is tough enough. He looks the part but does he have smarts and heart? WITTEN BRINGS THAT STILL.
Again this is why I could NEVER behead Coach or GM. If Jason does not call it quits how does one tell him too?

GO COWBOYS!