The defensive line in 2018

Same from me welcome catch…and as I no very little about college football I take notice of what fans say I regard to who we should and shouldn’t draft.So reading what my wise headed friends are saying I hope Vera is there at #19 and we take him

Now it’s a party.

Irving has been played DT the majority of the time the last two seasons. It’s safe to say they consider him a DT.

Yep, but a DT can either be a 1T or a 3T, and Irving is not a 1T, which is what we desperately need. We need that fat boy in the middle that can clog things up. It would make a world of difference with our run defense.

1 Like

Just because he has been playing DT doesn’t mean that that is the best place for him. He may be the best player we have at DT AND STILL BE BETTER AT DE. I am thinking the team might have pulled a fast one and labeled him a DT knowing they wanted to resign him cheaper. There is a big difference between DE and DT pay. If we get a true DT in FA or the draft and Irving stays at DT then I will be convinced. If GREGORY actually plays this year AND Taco turns out to be worth the draft pick Irving may be forced there anyway. I would like to see him at DE so he can do his “Too Tall” impersonation and swat down some passes.

1 Like

according to spotrac, aaron donald’s market value is the same as von miller’s latest contract on a per year basis…so I’m not so sure your difference in DT/DE pay comment is totally accurate

Most rush DEs are 5T. Irving is a hybrid 3T-4T. He is a pure 4T in a 3-4 if we are being picky. Ware was a pure 5T in a 3-4, he just didn’t always put his hand on the ground. The terms DT and DE are a little ambiguous. There are cross-over players that fit both labels. Of course, even LB and DE have crossover labels between a 3-4/4-3.

1 Like

You are mentioning guys who are considered the best at what they do. Hopefully Irving will be one of those guys, but he isn’t close yet. What is the AVERAGE at those positions?

I used those 2 in rebuttal to dts making a lot less than des. Using the very top of each category makes sense, otherwise you’re allowing subjectivity a lot more sway when trying to say this dt is equal to this de.

I totally disagree with your methodology. We were talking about Irving who is NOT one of the top DLs in the league. I looked it up. The 30th highest paid DT makes 2.1 million per, the 30th DE makes 4.5 million, more than DOUBLE. Irving, the 25th highest paid makes 2.9. the 25th highest paid DE makes 5 million per. I thought you were the one that always complained about people using selective stats to prove their point. Seems like what you are doing here…

Is Irving the 25th best dt? Is 2.9 actually reflective of what his market value is?

@primetime21

Some pretty good analytics there it would seem

http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2018/03/26/0204f7faefc940b69bb53ed67b5a5410/index.xml?page=2

Actually Irving was one of the top dts this year… he played half the year… so double his stats and then see where he ranked. That will give u a better idea of the talent he is… his talent is undeniable by just watching him much less the stats.

Put taven bryan on that list his numbers are identical to jj watt

Boys just signed DE, former Panther n Jet. He wore #94, same as Gregory. (?)
Any best on who will where it this year?