Dallas Cowboys: Cowboys need to use Rico Gathers

I said this last season. The Cowboys are the only team that putzes around with players by branding them projects. Some will say, well he has issues blocking. Or, he doesn’t know all the nuances of the offense yet.

DAMN THAT! Run that man down the seam and let him go get the ball! Football is about match ups and Rico is a nightmare. Don’t give him a lot to think about in the beginning, feature him in packages, make the league adjust.

1 Like

He probably has a place as a situational pass catcher.

but man, not a fan of his attitude. He admits to being poor as a blocker, but in the next breath says how he doesn’t need to be good at blocking, and then compares himself to gates and gonzalez, a couple of the greatest to play.

and you’re right, it’s about matchups…and a TE that can both block and catch creates a very versatile player that can create havoc through matchups. If he can both be a receiver that can line up out wide and make the defense wrong trying to cover him with a CB or LB, AND be a TE that can line up on the line and punish LBs through blocking it makes him much more valuable.

1 Like

You’re right about the attitude thing unfortunately. I’ve been reading comments from coaches (off the record) about the very things you mentioned. Maybe it’s a two way street? They want him to block and are forcing him, and he’s acting like…wtf?

My biggest fear is they cut him, he goes somewhere else and they use him like he wants. Even if it’s only for a couple of years it’s going to bother me!

1 Like

It’s funny, when I posted this I was thinking about you lol

1 Like

Totally agree. If he just wants to catch and doesn’t block, he’s is out of the team. And no, he didn’t learn a thing from Witten when said “Being available”, that is the key. So far, Rico Suave is expendable and boy, he has a very tough competition!

I wish we could put post in topics already created. Like Gathers. There are topics all over the place. When you want to look up previous post they are hard to find.

1 Like